How to Use the Standard
Points for using certified quarries and fabrication facilities are available through LEED v4 and Living Building Challenge. Learn details for obtaining these credits and other ways to specify responsible stone sourcing in your projects.
Potential credits for using natural stone materials:
- Environmental Product Declarations: 1/20, 1 point
- Sourcing of Raw Materials: 1/5, 2 points
- Material Ingredients: 1/20, 1 point
- Heat Island Reduction: 2 points
- Low Emitting Materials: 2 points
- Certified Multi-Attribute Products & Materials: 1 point
- Social Equity within the Supply Chain: 1 point
*LEED v4.1 is still in beta and the rating system is subject to change.
For more information on how to achieve these credits, please watch our CEU-approved course, Achieving Green Building Goals with Natural Stone.
Living Building Challenge
Under the Materials petal of the Living Building Challenge, the Responsible Industry imperative requires a third-party certified standard for sustainable resource extraction and fair labor practices. For stone, project teams must advocate to quarries and/or manufacturers of all dimension stone products used within the project for certification under the ANSI 373 Standard.
Include a requirement for sourcing sustainably produced stone in your projects.
- Stone detailed in this section must be certified to the ANSI/NSI 373 Sustainable Production of Natural Dimension Stone standard.
- Minimum __% of permanently installed building products are sourced from companies who have third-party certified to a multi-attribute sustainability standard and/or have an EPD.